Saturday, July 11, 2015

Weaker Sex

So, so, yeah he looks 
me up and down 
stop and pause 
while all along 
attempting to prove a point 
A point he doesn't need 
to prove 
Unspoken basic law,
basic rule 
survival of the fittest 
- in his mind 
His gaze stops mid way 
and it tells me; 
- the power of unspoken words
to shut the fuck up 
and sit the fuck down 
in my assigned seat 
My assigned place 
My assigned station 
in this life…
"Female" "woman" 
"weaker sex" "inferior species" 
...the lowest taxonomic rank, 
and the most basic unit 
or category of biological classification 
He doesn't bat an eye 
or shift his weight 
from side to side; 
he has the world as he knows it, 
- by the balls 
With his finger he pokes me 
in the chest as if he has 
some kind of universal right;
he has an innate level of "know" 
Testosterone rises and as his ego soars 
I am convinced I'm looking 
squarely at a little boy 
A moment of pathetic 
maternal awe dances up my spine, 
but only to be lost in a moment 
of complete defiance 
A moment of screw you asshole 
The muscles in my chest begin to tighten 
and I can feel the blood pumping 
from my heart, racing up my neck 
My head pounding, face flushed, teeth clenched... 
- with one symbolic step
I take a stand 
I own my space 
There is a flash of empowerment 
I am in an innate level of "know"
I am a feisty heroine who is
more than a pretty face…

© 2015 TrilbyYates

No comments: