Friday, April 18, 2008

El Porvenir Airport







My trip has come to an end and I'm sailing to El Porvenir an island that has a few tiny hotels, cantina, bar, restaurant and sort of an airport...more like a very short landing strip...for very small airplanes...

We sailed to El Porvenir - another tough sail - lot of wind and swells. I spent the night on Layla and was sad to say good by to my friend the next morning. My visit was amazing and I plan to go again when I'm emotionally in a better place and then really tap into all the experiences that were so amazing but that I was unable to completely own.

The flight was supposed to take off at 6:35 AM and I had to be there at 5:30 AM. Most people that are taking a flight out from El Porvenir come the night before and either spend the night in one of the B&B's, hotels or stay on their sailboats...it depends on how they get to El Porvenir. The Kuna will bring people to the airport for a small fee.

There were so many tourists from all over the world flying out. The first flight, which was not mine, arrived about 45 minutes late. My flight, AirPanama was well over an hour late...I was not thrilled, but I did get to see the sunrise over El Porvenir!

The flight was packed, tight seating - I was one of the last to board so I sat right up front...so close to the pilot and co-pilot I could watch everything they were doing. The pilots were well dressed clean cut young men. Clearly they knew the pattern, especially once we were up the pilot kicked back - he picked up a newspaper, folded it in a particular way and buried his head in the paper and read for the rest of the flight...until it was time to descend and land! One woman from New Zealand took photo's as did some of the Asian passengers that seemed stunned. I thought, umm, this is interesting, I'm just going to assume this guy knows what he's doing...and he did. Smooth landing right on time...2 hours late!

Again, I had a driver from the hotel pick me up. This time I stayed at the Panama Marriott® Hotel. It was more expensive but really very nice. I couldn't wait to take a bath and shower and go to the spa and have room service and jump on the bed - watch TV...even if it was in Spanish! Which I did...I took a bubble bath and a shower...went to the spa for a massage...ordered everything on the menu and jumped on the bed...shhhh...the food was wonderful and the TV did have English - the stay was well worth the price. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The next day a driver brought me to PTY and I flew back to JFK...and landed in a major snow storm! Ah, to be home...well I had my molas, met wonderful people, found some peace and had one hell of a tan!

Basic info:
Island airport: El Porvenir
There are two operators that fly to San Blas: Aeroperlas and AirPanama – fly to Albrook Airport in Panama City – small municipal airport.

Approx - $50.00

Panama Marriott® Hotel
Calle 52 y Ricardo Arias.
Area Bancaria Panama City, Panama
PTY 12.0 mi NE

Banking district – $245.00

No comments: