Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Mr. Who Knows Who

All that crazy anticipation 
build up and worry 
as if yesterday 
was a blank page 
And all the steps taken 
have somehow 
been washed away 
like footsteps in the sand - how cliche! 
I remember laughing 
about all those old sayings 
one night during a brief love affair
he filled my glass of wine up 
for the 3rd time 
smiling with such intent
saying, "Man, who are they trying to kid!
...rather have loved and lost 
than to have never loved at all - 
or, something like, if you set it free 
and it doesn't come back 
it was never yours to begin with..." 
Man what a kick
Man what a time 
for jokes and one liners
from men like Henny Youngman,
"I've been in love with the same woman 
for forty-one years 
if my wife finds out she'll kill me..."
The corners of my mouth 
turn up and I laugh -
so politically incorrect...yea no kidding man!
Even between all the laughter 
and long talks - we faded 
off in different directions 
but that wasn't a news flash
we both knew from day one 
nothing was going to come 
of what ever this was or wasn't 
just passing time 
drinking wine 
making love and laughing - 
sometimes we would
slow dance in the living room,
...candles flickering 
sexy shadows on the walls...
to some off the grid 
blues tune...
At the time everything was perfection 
in its own light - 
but, it was those long drives home 
late at night 
that set me free 
And now...I find myself 
walking to a bar in Brooklyn 
to meet Mr. Who Knows Who 
and for just a moment 
there is this rush 
the feeling of soft warm hands
occasionally touching mine -
We laugh and talk
as he fills up my glass 
of wine 
for the 3rd time...


© 2014 TrilbyYates  

No comments: