Thursday, April 10, 2008

Crossing the Panama Canal



Today we hired, Stanley, a driver to take us to Colon City so we could buy supplies for “Layla” (40’ Cal 1976) and then drive over the Panama Canal to Shelter Bay Marina in Colon.

Stanley is a character. His business is to drive people around in his car, which is one of the nicer cars – with AC and seat belts. Very handsome black man, tall, well built and nice features. He’s probably in his late 60’s, has a wife, children, grandchildren and a girlfriend. Stanley can mufti-task while driving extremely fast, passing cars and trucks, he had 2 cell phones that he answered at the same time and chatted away to us as if everything was copacetic. I was white knuckling it in the back seat the entire ride!

We made several stops, grocery store, marine supply and Stanley went to the bakery to pick up bread to give to his girlfriend on our way. We changed drivers on the side of the road before heading over the Panama Canal locks – Stanley had another run to the PTY airport. Our new driver was 76 years old; a tiny black man and very kind and friendly. I was relieved to have the change so I could relax. I decided if I could survive the drive I could survive anything on this trip.

When we arrived at the gate to the Panama Canal, I was surprised at what it looked like. I guess I thought it would be like Vegas or Atlantic City with some flashing lights and signs saying Welcome…but it was very industrial looking and if the driver didn’t say we were at the canal I wouldn’t have known. We had to wait for the few boats that were already in the canal to pass threw before the gate would come up and the locks would be put in place so we could drive over the canal. It was pretty exciting seeing the boats go by, very, very slowly and then when we drove over I was able to see the canal and I felt a touch of the history.

Next time I see the Panama Canal, I’m going to be on a sailboat!

No comments: