Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sailing on Layla










"Layla" is a 40' Cal 1976. She has all the amenities and luxuries anyone would need. A stove, oven, grille, fridge, freezer, hot and cold fresh water, head, sleeps 6 - 8, AC, all the up to date navigational instruments - GPS,Dept, Sound, Auto Pilot, VHF radio, CD player, radio, TV, DVD player...Home on the high seas! The only thing that wasn't exactly like home was the shower. There is a shower in the head, but because of the humidity in San Blas everyone showers in the cockpit...yup, outside in the open...with a solar water bag...that is hopefully nice and warm from spending the day in the sun!

Everyone was very respectful - including other cruisers that are anchored in the area...we all kind of kept a decent distance. I admit, my first time out, I showered with a towel around me...after a couple of times trying to maneuver the towel, water bag, and nozzle I finally gave up and took a deep breath and dropped the towel! I've attached a photo of Marco demonstrating how to use the "solar bag" :)

Layla's hailing port is Roseburg, Oregon USA. She has been sailed to many places and truly cared for by her owner. It was a pleasure to spend some time on board a sailboat that was so comfortable, felt familiar and like home. With everything that I was experiencing at the time of my trip, Layla was good medicine.

There were many days when I wanted to be alone and indulge myself in my sorrow, thoughts and just write or take photographs - and my wishes were respected by everyone.

A few times I felt my husband send me a sign or two letting me know that he was with me...one day a French boat anchored next to Layla and they suddenly hung a white flag with a large "Y" on it (our last name is Yates). Another time I was on an island and there were hundred's of pieces of coral in the shapes of "y" - of course the color of the water reflected my favorite store and my husband would always buy me something from Tiffany's. The Kuna men with the Yankee hats and shirts, seemed so odd to see out in the middle of the ocean - as mentioned earlier, my husband was a cameraman for the Yankees...all of these little things made me smile ~

No comments: