Sunday, April 13, 2008

San Blas Island - Banedup







The Lopez family, they are Kuna, live on Banedup and they are a good source of supplies for visitors. Lydia sells her Molas and her son, MacGyver (yes he was named after the TV show) makes Kuna bread and sells it to the cruisers. MacGyver is 16 years old and wants to learn English. He does speak a few words and phrases that he has been taught by visiting Americans. When I met him he said, "Good evening..." and shook my hand. I think that may be about the extent of his English. Very handsome young man and on my next visit I'll bring him some books to help with his interest in learning another language.

They have several huts and a dock on the island, along with a monkey, chickens and a dog. They also have several ulu's and one with an outboard engine. Everyone is very friendly - the cruisers help the Kuna as much as they can, bringing them rice, flour, sugar - and if they need any "luxury" items. One cruiser gave a family a poodle puppy - Osita. They have cell phones, radios and a few have TV's. The Kuna are also very helpful and generous.

2 comments:

Stubblejumpers Café said...

I see there are few comments and know that can be disappointing, as one tends to think it's a sign of having no readers-- when that is not at all the case. I am following with interest from here in landlocked Saskatchewan. If I was on that boat with you, I would be wearing a lifejacket 24/7 and look ridiculous!

Trilby said...

Thank you for your message. I do hope that readers interested in the San Blas are finding my blog - I have a lot to say :)

Umm, never even crossed my mind to wear a lifejacket! Glad you you are enjoying my adventure ~