Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Poems for Jerry II


Letting Go

Cautious laughter,
light hearted diversion,
sunshine and ocean breeze
beauty beyond my senses
I stare out at all the magnificence
sincerity surrounds me
I feel thankful to have the sight to see
the sensation to feel the cold Atlantic spray upon my face
I begin to appreciate submission,
gradually my shoulders relax
instinctively I lean my head
resting gently on your shoulder
the waves crash against the rocky shore
standing in the ripples of a solitary moment
guilt grabs hold of my heart
a painful reminder
like a dagger piercing a point in time
I stand alone
the tears fall from a poignant place
just for an instant
grief took leave
but was not prepared
to completely let go…

Questionable Faith

Deals with God
promises made
to anyone
with the power
or some higher source
that stands out from all the others
with a touch of Grace and Humility
that soars toward the Heavens
never a mystery to the Grand Schemer
or Motley Crew
who kneel at the feet of the One
only to ponder the questions
that have no prospect for
an arrow that is shot
in a straight line
landing off center
on the left side of the curve
but I still can’t make sense
of everything that has happened
late in the night when all is calm
my sobbing is silenced
by the tears that stifle
all the Faith I once held
in that special zone for Saints and Sinners
with sweet incense smoke rising
but never reaching those places
we’ve all imagined
once our Destination
has been reached and
we ascend into the
right hand of a Kinder
and Gentler
“God”…

Sailor’s Warning

Another day comes to a close
I dread the darkness
but as comfort grows
I surrender to the inevitable
only to have the morning light
rattle my emotions
the cloak of protection
slowly fades into shades of grey
the sun sneaks up on me
with a spotlight intensity full of promises lost
anticipation colors muted echo as a sailor cautions,
red sky at night sailors delight,
red sky in the morning sailors take warning…

WORDS

Spirituality, religion, theology, mysticism, holiness,
Belief, creed, conviction,
Divinity
Sanctity, piety, godliness, saintliness, consecration, devoutness, devotion, purity
Blessedness, inviolability, sacredness
Piousness, goodness, principle, trust, credence
Confidence, acceptance, credibility, authority
Sincerity, integrity, earnestness
Fervor, passion, zeal, vehemence, ardor
Genuineness, honesty, authenticity
Legitimacy, validity, realism, accuracy
Loyalty, commitment, dedication
Blind faith, follow the leader, unquestionable, unanswerable
Take my word for it…unsubstantiated fact… Faith

Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. -- Saint Augustine

© 2008 Pamela Viscomi Yates

No comments: